The Seljuk Han of Anatolia
Cells in second storey of covered section
The han is located on the Afyon-Kütahya road, in the village of Doğer, 12 miles north of the town of İhsaniye.
Estimated to be approximately 1260-78 by geographical and stylistic evidence.
Giyaseddin Keyhüsrev III
Assumed to be the Pervane Muineddin Suleyman
Covered, no courtyard (C)
The han faces east and lies perpendicular to the road. It is the last station on the Konya-Afyon trade route.
The inscription plaque over the hall door has been removed and is unfortunately now lost, so there are no precise historical details.
It is made of cut stone. No bath or mosque was found. There are two rows of 4 T-shaped columns (8 in all). The han is covered with a cradle vault above pointed stones.
There are Byzantine reuse columns with capitals on the portal, similar to
the Altinapa and Derbent hans.
The main entry portal with a round arch is plain.
Area of hall: 320m2
STATE OF CONSERVATION, CURRENT USAGE
The portal and one part of the central nave have been completely rebuilt. It is currently in use for municipal storage. The han was completely restored in 2006.
Acun, p. 493.
Bayrak, p. 27.
Erdmann, p. 152-154.
Karpuz, Kuş, Dıvarcı and Şimşek (2008), vol. 1, p. 36.
Rice, p. 206.
©2001-2013, Katharine Branning; All Rights Reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without written consent from the author.